As reported recently on NJBIA’s HR Support Center platform, the Department of Homeland Security has announced another extension of a temporary suspension of in-person I-9 inspection.
The rule is now set to expire on December 31, 2021.
The physical presence requirement of the Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9, requires that employers, or an authorized representative, physically examine, in the employee’s physical presence, the unexpired document(s) the employee presents from the Lists of Acceptable Documents to complete the Documents fields in Form I-9’s Section 2.
On March 20, 2020, DHS announced that effective immediately, the physical presence requirement has been temporarily suspended for employers and workplaces that are operating remotely due to COVID-19 related precautions.
In other words, employers with employees taking physical proximity precautions due to COVID-19 (and operating remotely) are not required to review the employee’s identity and employment authorization documents in the employee’s physical presence.
The USCIS has guidance, including example forms, is available here.
More information is available at NJBIA’s HR Support Center, available to members.
To bring maximum benefit to its members, NJBIA has a new, comprehensive HR Support Center platform that provides employers with a host of time-saving tools and resources, the most up-to-date HR information, and live professional consultations seven days a week.
NJBIA’s HR Support Center is included in NJBIA membership dues, while access to Support Center PLUS, with HR On-Demand services seven days a week, can be accessed for a nominal fee of $300 a year.
HR Support Center benefits include:
- Policy library & law alerts
- HR forms, documents and templates
- Employee handbook builder
- Resources covering common employer laws including ACA, FLSA, and FMLA
- Extensive COVID-19 content
- HR webinars lead by HR professionals to drive lead generation for you
- Monthly HR newsletters and eAlerts from NJBIA
- HR fitness test to assess HR compliance gaps
- Guides on popular HR topics
- Members who upgrade to the HR On-Demand feature receive:
- Unlimited live advice via chat, telephone or email
- Question and answer history
- HR Concierge Live Chat
- Custom multi-state employee handbooks and consultation
- Custom project requests
- COVID-19 live help
Employers, both NJBIA members and non-NJBIA members, can learn more about NJBIA’s HR Support Center at www.njbia.org/mac or call 1-800-499-4419.
For a video about NJBIA’s HR Support Center, click here.