The NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development has opened a grant application period today for Growing Apprenticeship in Nontraditional Sectors (GAINS).
The $4.5 million program is a competitive grant opportunity open to entities developing new or building upon existing registered apprenticeship programs.
The grant runs through FY19, with applications accepted starting October 26. A technical workshop for interested applicants will be held November 5. To learn more about the Notice of Grant Opportunity click here. To RSVP for the November 5 session, click here.
Fiscal Year 2019
The purpose of the Growing Apprenticeship in Nontraditional Sectors (GAINS) program is to promote the expansion and development of United States Department of Labor (USDOL) approved Registered Apprenticeship programs that drive economic development through skills and educational attainment and create pathways to better-paying careers and advanced credentials. While this NGO describes ten (10) sectoral/occupational areas of focus, all occupations that are recognized by US DOL as “apprenticeable” are encouraged to apply.
Entities That Can Apply for Funding Under This NGO:
- Any employer;
- Employer / Trade Associations
- Any labor organization which represents workers in the occupation for which the apprentices will be trained;
- Labor/Management Partnership (public or private)
- New Jersey Local Education Agency (LEA);
- Public vocational schools within New Jersey;
- Two- and four-year institutions of higher education;
- Public or private non-profit organizations (including Community Based Organizations);
- Business or trade organizations representing a particular trade, group of trades, contractors or employers;
- Community-based organizations;
- New Jersey local Workforce Development Boards;
- Economic development organizations;
- Workforce Intermediary Sponsors
Take Notice that, in compliance with N.J.S.A. 52:14-34.4 et seq., the Department of Labor and Workforce Development regularly publishes on its website, all notices of fund availability pertaining to federal or state grant funds, which may be awarded by LWD. The notices of fund availability may be found on LWD’s website under the heading “Public Notices” and the subheading ” Notice of Availability of Grant Program Funds.”