FirstEnergy Foundation has provided surprise “Gifts of the Season” grants totaling $20,000 to two nonprofits that are working to make lives better in New Jersey communities served by FirstEnergy Corp.’s subsidiary JCP&L.
The recipients are organizations that provide support services to underserved and vulnerable individuals of all ages across JCP&L’s service territory. They include:
- Konscious Youth Development & Service, Monmouth County ($10,000) – A minority-owned organization that offers holistic wellness programming for school educators, administration, parents and the community.
- New Jersey Veterans Network, Union County ($10,000) – An organization that helps veterans and their families enjoy a sustainable quality of life by connecting them with resources and solutions designed to meet the unique set of veterans’ needs.
“We’re proud to support these organizations because their missions align with our commitment to diverse, equitable and inclusive communities where everyone feels safe, valued, included and respected,” said Jim Fakult, president of JCP&L.
“The winners were chosen by FirstEnergy External Affairs employees who identified organizations in their local areas that do extraordinary work to strengthen the community and enhance the lives of vulnerable and underserved populations,” said Fakult.
The “Gifts of the Season” initiative was created in 2016 to support programs and nonprofit organizations that align with FirstEnergy’s core value of diversity, equity and inclusion. Since its inception, the campaign has awarded more than $700,000 to nonprofit organizations that work to strengthen communities through a diverse lens.
To be considered for a gift, the entity must be a first-time FirstEnergy Foundation grant recipient, and the entity or at least 51% of its work must fall under one or more of the following diverse categories:
- Service disabled/veterans-owned business enterprise
- Disability-owned business enterprise
- Minority business enterprise
- Lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/queer-owned business
- Woman business enterprise
The FirstEnergy Foundation is funded solely by FirstEnergy Corp. and provides support to tax-exempt nonprofits, including health and human services agencies, educational organizations, cultural and arts programs and institutions, and civic groups in areas served by FirstEnergy’s 10 electric operating companies and in areas where the company conducts business.